February 23, 2026

Logo

News Flash : A fragile ceasefire ends as Pakistan strikes Afghanistan amidst mounting Taliban attacks Majlis-e-Askari Karwan: The Quiet Rise of a Flexible Taliban Faction

A fragile ceasefire ends as Pakistan strikes Afghanistan amidst mounting Taliban attacks

Published | February 22,2026

By | TKD Team

A fragile ceasefire ends as Pakistan strikes Afghanistan amidst mounting Taliban attacksimage

Heavy explosions were heard late Saturday night (11:50 pm Pakistan time) along Afghanistan's eastern border with Pakistan, as reports emerged of aerial strikes in two provinces in Afghanistan. 

Shortly afterward Pakistan said that it carried out 'selective and precision' strikes near the Pakistan-Afghanistan Border. In which seven terrorist camps and hideouts belonging to the Pakistani Taliban and its affiliates and Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP) were targeted with precision and accuracy.

Pakistan said that recent suicide bombing incidents, including attacks in Islamabad, Bajaur, and Bannu during the holy month of Ramadan, were carried out by militant groups identified as Fitna al Khwarij (FAK) [a term used by the state to identify Pakistani Taliban] and ISKP. 

According to the statement released by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, responsibility for the attacks had been claimed by factions associated with the Pakistani Taliban operating from Afghan territory. 


Image Source: Screenshot of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting's X post 

"Pakistan alleges it has repeatedly urged the Afghan Taliban government to take action against such groups but claims that 'no substantive measures' have been implemented," said the statement.

The statement reiterates Pakistan's position that it seeks regional peace and stability but emphasises that protecting its citizens remains a priority. It also calls on the Afghan interim government to prevent its territory from being used for cross-border attacks.

Additionally, Pakistan urged the international community to encourage the Afghan authorities to uphold commitments under the Doha Agreement, particularly regarding preventing the use of Afghan soil for activities against other countries.

The strikes came amid a noticeable surge in militant violence over the past week, particularly since the start of Ramadan. During this period, several coordinated and large-scale attacks claimed by the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) resulted in the deaths of multiple security personnel.

Earlier on Saturday, a suicide attacker rammed an explosives-laden motorbike into a security forces vehicle in the Bannu district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, killing three security officials, including a lieutenant colonel. 

The explosive device struck a mine-resistant ambush-protected vehicle. The attack was later claimed by the Hafiz Gul Bahadur-linked conglomerate Ittihadul Mujahideen Pakistan (IMP). Subsequently, Majlis-e-Askari Karwan released a statement identifying the attacker as Muhammad bin Qasim and said the operation had been conducted on behalf of IMP.

Meanwhile, a day earlier on Friday, heavy firing and explosions were reported near the Federal Constabulary office in Tank district. A quadcopter drone reportedly struck a portion of the Deputy Commissioner's compound, while another drone later hit an empty government guest house within a government facility. Although no casualties were reported in those incidents, eight Frontier Constabulary personnel were injured later that evening when a quadcopter drone struck the force's headquarters in Bannu.

Overall, during the past 48 hours, at least seven people, including civilians, were killed and 22 others were injured in militancy-related incidents. Additionally, authorities reported the presence of three explosive-laden quadcopter drones in the southern districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, marking the severity in terms of the security atmosphere across the province.

In response to Pakistan's strike, the Ministry of Defence of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan warned that Pakistan's military attacks on the Afghan provinces of Paktika and Nangarhar will be met with a "timely, appropriate, and calculated response."

In a statement issued, the Afghan Defence Ministry described the strikes by Pakistan as a clear violation of Afghanistan's national sovereignty, international law, principles of good neighbourliness, and Islamic values.


Image Source: Afghan Ministry of Defence's Official X Account


The statement stressed that Afghanistan will not remain silent in the face of continued cross-border violations and reaffirmed the country's right to defend its territorial integrity.

According to TKD's Correspondent in Nangarhar Behsud District (Gardi Kas area), a house was struck, resulting in 19 fatalities from one family and 4 additional injuries. The location is approximately 25 km from Jalalabad city. In Khogyani District (Koz Behar area), a security post was targeted, with reports of four security members wounded. The site is about 45 km from Jalalabad city. In Shinwar District (25 Canal area), a mosque and the surrounding areas were hit. No casualties have been reported from this area. The location is approximately 50 km from Jalalabad city. 

In Paktika province, a religious Madrassa in Barmal district and a residential compound in Argon district were targeted. 

According to Syed Tayyab Hammad Spokesperson of the Police Command in Nangarhar, 23 people were killed, and five were injured. Rescue teams have continued search operations at the affected sites as of Sunday.